Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Charlie Munger on projections

From his speech “Academic Economics: Strengths and Faults After Considering Interdisciplinary Needs” (available HERE, HERE, or in Poor Charlie's Almanack):
Usually, I don’t use formal projections. I don’t let people do them for me because I don’t like throwing up on the desk (laughter), but I see them made in a very foolish way all the time, and many people believe in them, no matter how foolish they are. It’s an effective sales technique in America to put a foolish projection on a desk. 
And if you’re an investment banker, it’s an art form. I don’t read their projections either. Once Warren and I bought a company and the seller had a big study done by an investment banker, it was about this thick. We just turned it over as if it were a diseased carcass. He said, “We paid $2 million for that.” I said, “We don’t use them. Never look at them.”

Source:  http://www.valueinvestingworld.com/2015/03/charlie-munger-on-projections.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ValueInvestingWorld+%28Value+Investing+World%29

No comments:

Post a Comment